Sunday, May 11, 2014

Finding a Rhythm

We’ve just passed the halfway mark for CSC! While it’s crazy that our month will be coming to a close sooner than I’m ready to admit, on the other hand, I’m finally feeling like I have (or CAN have) a sense of normalcy and a routine.  The first two weeks were all about getting to know our teammates, Casa (although we haven’t spent much time here!), other towns in Morocco, and our clients/projects. Over the past two weeks, I’ve often referred to the CSC experience as “IBM Summer Camp”; with our daily group dinners, excursions, activities, laughs and stories, we have been living, working, and playing together for the last 16 days. Many of us are already connecting and forming relationships that I hope will last well past May 25. It has been an amazing opportunity to get to know IBMers from all over the world who have different backgrounds and experiences. We have shared funny stories, encouraged each other to break out of our comfort zones, and brainstormed on client solutions until 2am. We’ve already had experiences that I will never forget and that have changed me and my perspective on things.

With all of this connecting though– both with our clients and with each other – there hasn’t been much time for finding a routine (both personally and at work) or having “down time” to ourselves.  It’s taken us about 2 weeks to really find a rhythm for our deliverables and for our client. After the call with IBM last week where we gave an update on our project and our progress, Celia and the others were pleased with the progress we were making and the solution we were planning to provide. For the first time, I truly felt like we were on the right track, making significant progress, and in a good spot. This week, it will be important to keep that momentum going. We only really have 6 or 7 work days left to complete our deliverables before the final presentation. We have a good relationship with our client and a good “synergy” on our team, so I’m confident that we will be able to get everything done.

On a personal note, exercising, blogging, sleeping, even taking time after work to see more of Casa than its restaurants…all of these things, for me at least, have been hard to fit into our busy schedule. However, now that we’re 2 weeks in, I feel that the foundation has been laid to begin making a life here. I finally went grocery shopping for the first time last week, so I can start to make breakfast and dinner in my room, if necessary. I would like to start running after work again; if I time it correctly, I may even be able to run to a destination in Casa I want to see, and then walk home. I’m finally feeling comfortable and confident enough to start saying I am living here in Casa, not just visiting or working. It might end up just being a small change in perception rather than a lifestyle change, but I’m excited to start this week out a bit differently.

Week 3, let's go!

#ibmcsc #morocco5

No comments:

Post a Comment